In a recent ICPF cell group, I was given a chance to give a message. I thought for a while on the subject and thought about what I should speak. After some thoughts, I decided on the topic of “Word of God”. What is it, and why should we study it. Then I thought, now that I have compiled this, it might be useful to someone somewhere if I put it on the internets! So, here it goes:
Hebrews 5:12-14 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food, for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child. But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil. (ESV)
1 Corinthians 3:1-2 But I, brothers, could not address you as spiritual people, but as people of the flesh, as infants in Christ. I fed you with milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for it. And even now you are not yet ready, (ESV)
Matthew 4:4 But he answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.'”
Psalm 119:103 How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
- Attributes of food
- Strengthens you.
- Eat it!
James 1:22-25 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing. (ESV)
- Attributes of mirror
- It tells you how do you look.
- Word of God tells us how do we look in the eyes of God.
- When we see that we are wrong somewhere, it’s our responsibility to correct ourselves.
A double edged sword
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. (ESV)
Ephesians 6:17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, (ESV)
- Our only weapon!
- Attributes of sword
- Cuts through things
- Use it! Everybody has their fair share of problems. Use the word of God, promises, in these circumstances to overcome them.
There are multiple advantages of reading the word of God.
- Helps us to know God
- It strengthens us
- Helps us strengthen others Just as an older kid can take care of a younger kid.
- Brings you closer to the church
- It corrects us
- Helps you in your relationship with God. Brings you closer to God. How much you can walk according to his will depends on how strong you spiritually are.
- It protects us
Basically, it helps liberates us from the bondages of this world, helps us fight against it, and helps us move closer to God and his body, the church.
Take a small passage from bible. Ideally one single incident about 7-8 verses… Read it 2-3 times and then, ask following question, write down your answers and apply it into your life
- A: About God
- S: sin
- P: promise
- E: example
- C: commandment
- T: teaching
Inductive bible study method
- Type? e.g. historical, poetry, narration, letter?
- When & where?
- Why? Why is it mentioned? What’s the core issue?
- How does this passage apply to present situation?
- How can I learn from this passage?
- How does this apply to me personally?